When it comes to CBD
1. CBD oil is not the same as hemp oil
CBD oil is an oil that contains Cannabidiol. CBD is extracted from the cannabis plant and usually combined with a base oil (often olive, coconut or MCT).
Hemp oil is extracted from the seeds of the hemp plant and should not contain CBD, or any other cannabinoids. Hemp oil is associated with its own list of health benefits.
2. There are two main methods for extracting CBD
Most CBD is extracted from the leaves, flowers and stalks of the cannabis plant via solvent or heat extraction methods.
The first method, solvent extraction, uses solvents to separate the compounds from the plant. On the high end, CO2 (Carbon dioxide) is used as the solvent. On the low end, harsh chemicals (ethanol, butane, kerosene, etc) are used as the solvent. In the second method, steam is used to extract the oil in a gentle and effective way.
The extraction method directly impacts the quality of the oil you purchase. When creating a premium, full spectrum oil, it’s essential to extract CBD, and other plant compounds, without causing damage during the process. If the cannabinoids or terpenes are destroyed or damaged, then the product will have less efficacy or will require added flavors to mask the taste.”
3. There’s a big difference between full spectrum and CBD isolate
CBD isolate is a term that describes a crystalline powder that contains only CBD. This form of CBD endures the most amount of processing and can be sold in products that include synthetic or natural flavor additives.
Full spectrum describes a plant oil that includes more than just the actual CBD itself. The additional compounds include other important cannabinoids, phytonutrients, chlorophyll, terpenes and flavonoids.
4. Know what you’re buying
- It’s a good idea to buy from providers that have independent third-party testing.
- Ask if the product is made with CBD isolate or full-spectrum oil. You want full-spectrum oil as it has more of the plant compounds and nutriants. It's like eating an orange or taking a vitamin C pill. Eating an orange is more natural and healthier. You get more nutrience other than viatmin C.
- You can ask about the method of extraction, and if it is solvent based, you can ask which solvent is used.
5. People are giving CBD to their pets
It’s not hard to find anecdotal stories of CBD having a positive impact on dogs and ailments like separation anxiety, arthritis, join pain and aging. That said, it’s important to understand the benefits and precautions when.
(See Our CBD For Our Pets Tab)
How is cannabidiol different from marijuana?
CBD stands for cannabidiol. It is the second most prevalent of the active ingredients of cannabis (marijuana). While CBD is an essential component of cannabis, it is derived directly from the hemp plant, which is a cousin of the marijuana plant. While CBD is a component of marijuana (one of hundreds), by itself it does not cause a “high". In humans, CBD exhibits no effects indicative of any abuse or dependence potential