HOW TO SET UP YOUR FIRST WATER PIPE
- Inspect the glass pipe
- Locate the removable pieces, such as the bowl
- Insert the bowl into the opening (stemless or downstem)
- Add water — enough to cover the *percolators but not too much
- Test out water levels by taking practice pulls. If the water reaches your lips, you have too much!
HOW TO USE YOUR WATER PIPE
- Insert your bowl into the downstem and add your herb of choice
- Light your herb with a lighter or hemp wick
- Place your lips over the mouthpiece at the top of the water pipe, and slowly inhale
- Remove your bowl, and take another hit to clear out all the smoke remaining in your water pipe
- Take as many more hits as you like!
How to Clean a Water Pipe
- Do not use hot water on a cold piece, as this can cause it to shatter. If your piece is cold, for whatever reason, start with lukewarm water and slowly raise the temperature.
- For smaller, routine cleanings, you can just rinse out the bong quickly and move on to further cleaning.
- For smaller pieces with tough, thick stains, like your slide or bowl, it can help to freeze the piece for 30 minutes. This loosens up chunks of resin and makes them easier to knock off. Be sure to dry the bowl before freezing.
*The percolator is usually in a dome shape but lately have been found in all kinds of crazy designs. It is basically an additional water chamber for your bong and usually lives in the tube of the bong. It contains water in it and is another filtering process for your smoke.
After you pull the smoke from your pipe, it interacts with the water in the bowl. When it’s traveling up the tube, the smoke interacts with the water for the second time in the percolator.
There are two ways that this process cools and filters the smoke more efficiently. Firstly, the smoke has another opportunity to make contact with water, which is naturally going to cool it down. It also allows for a greater surface area of smoke to reach the water, making it cooler again.
It also works by breaking down the bubbles into smaller sizes, due to the pressure in the percolator. This also means for a cooler, smoother hit from your bong.